Sunday, July 3, 2011

Bare Face Series: Bentonite Clay

While spending time with my buddy Bethany, I was introduced to the healing properties of Bentonite Clay. Her roommate instructed us to mix the clay with water, spread on our face and not talk for 15 minutes. Of course, we had a case of the giggles and couldn't stop laughing. Two minutes later, my face began tightening up and it became hard to smile. 20 minutes later, I washed the grey mask off my skin and my skin felt like butter. I experienced a little bit of redness near my nostrils; but, the next morning my skin was so bright. I was hooked! A friend of mine bought my Bentonite from Amazon for $7.99. It can also be purchased at Whole Foods.
  
Here's some background: 


Bentonite clay is somewhat different from the other types of clay. When water is added to Bentonite, the molecular structure changes and an electrical charge is produced. The clay swells like a sponge, attracting toxins into the mixture and once they are drawn, they are bound to the clay because of the electric charge.  Bentonite clay is volcanic ash and the largest deposits come from Wyoming and Montana. Aztec Secret comes from Death Valley, California. After mining, it is brought into the sun to remove excess water so it is easier to work with. Interesting...

A clay mask made from Bentonite draws excess oils and debris to the surface of your skin, boosts circulation to tighten the skin and stimulate blood flow, and whisks away dead skin cells that can clog pores. Betonite is great for all skin types especially those with oily and acne-prone skin. 

To create your own mask, start by scooping about 2 tablespoons of Bentonite into a bowl. Mix a small amount of water with the clay to create a smooth paste. Using a flat foundation brush (MAC 190) or your fingers  spread the mixture evenly on your face. 




Let stand for 10-15 minutes until you feel your face tighten. I placed some on my chest just because its summer and I want my skin to glow!




Once the mask is dry, it will crackle on your skin. Rinse off with a warm washcloth. Slight redness of the skin is normal and will disappear in about 30 minutes. Moisturize with your favorite moisturizer. 




Viola! Your skin will be soft as a baby's bottom! 





1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I've actually had this in my closet for a while now but have never used it. Definitely gonna try it now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete